The perfect accompaniment to BBQ’d meat, Mac ‘n’ Cheese has become a classic. This take on the southern classic is quick, easy and delicious!
- 250g Macaroni
- 250ml Whole Milk
- 50g Flour
- 50g Salted Butter
- 50g Grated Cheddar
- 25g Grated mozzarella
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- First, bring a pan of salted water to the boil. Cook your macaroni for approximately 8 minutes then drain. Save some of the cooking water.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter on a low heat. Once melted, add the flour and whisk. This is called a Roux, it can be used to thicken a variety of sauces. Cook the Roux for 2-3 minutes on a low heat, then add the milk and whisk.
- Keep the pan on a low heat and continue to whisk until the sauce has thickened. You may need to add more milk to get the sauce to the consistency you like.
- Add the cheddar to the sauce, allowing it to melt slowly as the sauce simmer. Don’t allow the sauce to burn to the bottom of the pan. Season the sauce with salt and pepper then add your macaroni to the sauce.
- Stir the pasta into the sauce, making sure every piece of macaroni is covered. Splash in a few tablespoons of the pasta cooking water to loosen the sauce if you need to.
- Stir in you mozzarella, let it melt for a few seconds and serve immediately.
My new Recipe eBook ‘F#ck Microwaves – The Ultimate BBQ Guide’ is now available for pre-order on Amazon Kindle! With over 10,000 meal combinations, you’re sure to find a family favourite in there somewhere!